Getting Started in Cloud CTF¶
This article details how to register for a CTF and choose your team setup. If your CTF is offered through a Cyber Range course, view Private CTF Environment instructions. If your CTF offers public registration (for example, if you were provided a direct URL to the CTF), follow Public CTF Environment instructions.
Private CTF Environment¶
In order to begin in a private CTF environment, students must join their respective course within the Virginia Cyber Range. More information on joining a course can be found in the KB article, For Students: How to Join a Course.
Once in the course, select Cloud CTF from the list of exercise environments.
Select "Join" for the Cloud CTF environment. This will open another browser tab for the CTF.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete CTF sign-up.
Public CTF Environment¶
- Using a link for public CTF registration, you will be directed to the following page:
- Select "Start" and you will sign in to one of the given account providers. Once authenticated, you are given the following play options:
Decide which option you would like to compete in:
- Play Solo - Play by yourself
- Join a Team - Join an existing team with Captain's permission
- Create a Team - Start a new team that other's can join to compete together
Note: If the "Allow players to change teams" option is not activated by the CTF Admin, the player will only see the "Play solo" option.
1. Choosing solo will direct you to the CTF homepage, ready for competition. It is important to note that choosing solo prevents you from having teammates for the duration of the CTF.
2. If choosing to join a team, you will be given a drop-down menu of team options to choose from:
- Select the team you would like to join. Once you have selected, the leader of the team will have to accept you before you begin competition.
3. If you choose to create a team, this page will allow you to make a team name. Type your team name and enter.
- Once you have chosen your team configuration, you will be directed to the CTF homepage:
For information on beginning competition and solving challenges, check out How to Solve a Challenge.
If you experience any issues starting or viewing Cloud CTF in your web browser, please refer to our Cloud CTF troubleshooting article for helpful tips on resolving the matter.
If you are unable to resolve the issue, please reach out to our support team for assistance.